Protecting and Looking after our Environment
I believe that we should look after the Earth, it is the only planet we have!
I was really delighted to be a finalist in the Dumfries and Galloway Life Awards in the Environmental Champion category. Thanks to the people who nominated me.
I try to safeguard our environment within my business. I am not always able to do as much as I want to, however I try and these are some of the things that I am working on.
Most off the resources I use are either natural or have had a past lives being gifted to me or coming from charity shops and car boot sales. The projector (thanks to the Wild Bunch) and screen (thanks Wigtown) that I use for talks were gifted to me. For stargazing I am replacing one use batteries with rechargable batteries in my head torches. Real cellophane which is a made from cellulose can be used to make other people's torches red.
Many of my activities and experiences involve recycling materials and I encourage people to reuse materials.
- I help to conserve the natural heritage by helping people to learn more about and appreciate their environment. I lead by example making sure that any activities I lead are low impact.
- I support other businesses within the Biosphere and within Dumfries and Galloway by using local services and businesses when I can.
- I offer quality experiences at lower prices to community groups which benefit those that are disadvantaged or where there is a health benefit.
- I share my knowledge, enthusiasm and encourage others to learn from and enjoy their environment.
- I share this wonderful place with others, showing a friendly face and sharing the best of both the Biosphere and Dumfries and Galloway.
I have been trained in Leaving no Trace Principles and try to lead by example where starting fires and making shelters and dens. I reduce the impact the I have when out with groups by using well known areas and being considerate to other users of the areas.